Thursday, October 18, 2007

This and that.

Well, it's been too long already. I don't want my ratings to go down, so I'd better keep up the posting, eh? I watched the Red Sox tonight. Game 5, down 3-1 in the series, a must win, obviously. And of course they did behind the studnificent pitching of twenty-game-winner Josh Beckett. What a beast, seriously. Eight innings, eleven strikeouts, filthy stuff again. Well, so that was kinda fun. Not much has happened this week, thank God tomorrow's Friday and Monday is payday. I went hiking with some friends this Sunday, three of them T.A.C. graduates, Clara D. and the two older Lyons sisters. That was nice, don't get to see a lot of them these days even though we live within twenty or thirty minutes of each other. I don't see a lot of females at all, which is a little sad. Okay, maybe a LOT sad. Maybe I should go down south to look for some chiquitas in Santa Paula, eh? Heh heh heh.....riiiiight. Just kidding, of course.

The foliage is quickly leaving the trees (I'm so clever) and my school has a huge tree out back, under which I feel obliged to rake every freaking day. Otherwise the ground's just covered and eventually they'd be ankle deep. I keep on keeping on, though. It's my constant sadness. That's about all, not very much happening (as usual), like I said.

Just for the heck of it I took a quiz on the summitportland website to see if I was qualified to participate for a local depression study. I answered like five out of eight questions "yes" and I only needed three. What's up with this crap? People, react to me. Do you believe in this whole depression bit? I believe in it, but not the way it's approached. Doctors now treat it as a medical illness and put people on happy pills. In my (vast) experience, most people who have feelings of anxiety, insecurity or guilt usually ought to. I just heard another local news story about a couple run down by a driver on the street and the driver never stopped, just took off. It's happening more and more. Two people! Is there any way it would cross your mind to keep going after hitting someone??? Anyway, I think depression is a general sickness of the soul. Met any depressed saints lately? I didn't think so. Well, Evan and Emily, tell your friends to visit this blog, because you can't carry the load on your own. I'm out.

5 Comments:

At 1:41 PM, Blogger tasik said...

hey, I read your blog, okay? I'm not going to start being your blog whore too. Do your own damn whoring. That's your job.

Anyway, yes I share your skepticism about depression and the treatment thereof. I am dubious as to the real existence of depression; I get "depressed" once in a while, and describe myself as such, but I think it's connected more to a style of expression than a state of mind, really...make certain comments in a certain pessimistic manner and some people immediately jump to the conclusion that you are "depressed". Where they get that idea from is best left up to the psychiatric witch doctors...

(okay, I'm half joking.)

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger tasik said...

Your ratings are going down.

Post.

SoCal has turned into a raging inferno, as I am sure you have seen and read. Up here in Santa Paula, however, we are completely unaffected, except by an occasional whiff of smoke and dust of ash.

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Emily said...

Thought I'd let you know that I'm quite diverted. Here are two of the most melancholic men I'VE EVER KNOWN conversing about depression and the treatments thereof. Exceedingly diverting.

Now, although Tasik generally goes into worry mode whenever he senses it, I, sanguine as I am, also get depressed. It seems to happen a tad more often since I married a melancholic man - we're still working on how we're going to use our personalities to build one another up, here, and it may take a while to work out all the bugs. However, I've somewhat come to the conclusion that depression is the philosopher's lot. Rational people are just that much more depressed by irrationality - and irrationality is the status quo maintained by this place we call the world.

The doctors are extremely quick to give you meds, though. They were doing that to my mom for a long time, only for her to find out it was a physical ailment they didn't bother to find.

The main problem is probably lonliness, though. You should go visit other lonely people. :) There are lot of lonely philosophers out there, and yes, many of them are TAC grads.

 
At 5:40 PM, Blogger Emily said...

And I re-iterate Tasik's command.

POST.

 
At 8:36 AM, Blogger tasik said...

Think irrationality about abstract philosophical matters gets one down? Try irrationality about moral and religious matters and you have recipe for near suicide.

what I was trying to point out in my comment above is that sometimes depression gets a worse name than it deserves. Melancholy (controlled) is a very useful tool with which to build oneself up; it inclines one to consider matters thoroughly and shields one from a certain headlong joie de vive (such as in universal evidence in the SoCal culture).

Post, Vince. As you said, Emily and I can't carry this load on our own, although we are trying very, very hard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home