Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Crapola

Well, friends, I return, emboldened by your many encouragements. Not much happening, life goes on in much the same strain as it has these past few years. Ho, hum and all that. Do you guys remember Denicola, the self-proclaimed "Supreme Puntiff"? Well, he's wanting to get a new apartment or house after the new year and hopes I can join him. I'd like to, but the money has to work out, and it would require moving to Portland, which, although it's only a few miles away, is another state and has different taxes and such. Also it would be nice to have a job there, so I don't have to commute across the river. So, a lot of things would have to work out and it's likely I'll just continue to sit here in my little hole in my parents' basement with an obnoxious sixteen-year-old brother who seems to have forgotten he's not six. And how are you guys?

Today at school I was called into a classroom (I carry a walkie-talkie) to help restrain a wild child. The scary thing was he was very calm. With a steady voice and steeley stare he could look adults in the eye and tell them he'd kill them when he was older, although he'd rather we die before then so he wouldn't go to jail. I guess this is what psychopaths are made of? But the sad thing is I don't think it's a question of insanity for the most part. Perhaps a spiritual insanity, if possible, but putting him on Prozac won't save his soul, will it? I felt bad for his dad (came from work to pick him up) he said straight up he didn't know what to do. Of course the principal reccommended taking him to a doctor for a complete physical (meaning get some prescriptions). But I believe his dad. He doesn't know what to do: never has and never will, because he and his wife both work like dogs all day trying to give their kid the American Dream, all the while unintentionally adding to what is in reality an American Nightmare.

This kid was only seven or eight, I guess, but the public schools are really a microcosm of today's societal values. I've worked at all three pre-college levels (elementary, middle, high) and have seen a lot of crazy things. You know, a lot of people see teens acting immature and obdurate towards adults and one another and they say that "kids will be kids" or "they'll grow out of it". But I know better. They won't. That's what our society has decided. We can be kids forever. We should be! Work your ass off (both of you!) so you can buy that new SUV for fifty grand so you can take your one or two ungrateful, spoiled brates to soccer practice (after you pick them up from daycare) then seize the weekend! Go biking in wedgie-making spandex clown uniforms or go mow the lawn or paint the house. Make sure you keep the kids happy with computer games while you're doing that, then go back to work, rinse and repeat. You've heard of old age being a second childhood: it's no longer separated by a period of mature adulthood. Sure, people get older all the time, but not wiser.

Childhood is for the innocent, people. And, sadly, innocence is being ripped out of kids earlier every day. I don't remember ever thinking I wanted to kill anyone, certainly not adults. But isn't that how adults think now? Well, if you don't do what I want, when I want it, how I want it, I'll divorce/insult/rob/slander/murder you. That's how people act, but at least they never have to grow up. Well, hope this cheered you all up. We may not have a hope for the future of our government, but at least sixty-year-olds still have active sex drives. It's the American Dream taken to the max, baby.

5 Comments:

At 10:31 PM, Blogger SkyPilot said...

Well, I hadn't planned on turning that post into such a rant, but it just worked out that way. Started out tamely enough, didn't it? I found myself inwardly amused in spite of myself, just to see my opinions confirmed during this child-restraint ordeal. I guess that's my cynicism coming out. This post was conceived as I held the kid's legs in an iron grip.

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger tasik said...

Did you shake him well as you held him upside down?

That's scary, Vince. Cynical kids scare the crap out of me, I don't know about you.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Kakashi said...

Punk kid probably was just trying to rile people up...

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Emily said...

Kids say the derndest things . . .

I feel sorry for the little guy, actually. Schools are no fun, and he's a kid. Kids are irrational - they say things they don't think out, exaggerating their desires from an inability to rationally control their emotions. Poor, poor kid. When he made this statement, he probably doomed himself to an fate worse than death, i.e., *counseling*. That's one way to guarantee the kid will end up suicidal when he's 16 - overexposure to "counselors".

Now, I can't remember ever consciously thinking this sort of thing, either, but I was a girl (out temper tantrums tend to be less violent, more social, "Oh YEAH?! Well, you're not my FRIEND anymore! *SOB*") and I have a good dose of sanguine temperament, too, which can also help keep things under control. However, my family is prone to fits of temper, and I could see one of my brothers saying something like that if some teacher went and made their day hell.

In other words, I wouldn't take the kid too seriously. He wouldn't be beyond reform at his age, if his parents knew how not to be wimps, which is quite doubtful. THAT is the part that's really the pity. Well, that and the counselors. God save him from the counselors.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger tasik said...

Do you realize that your blog name bears a strong visual resemblance to

"pinky"

That's what I think whenever I see the URL at the bottom of the screen.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home